Tuesday, October 7, 2008

You are the music in me


Some things in life you just can’t put a price on. Like that feeling of making the winning goal, or going to sleep at night after a long day. Other things are not as priceless, but still just as valuable. Such as a laptop computer, and ipod, or any other items that you can buy or sell. You see people walking around with their 500 dollar handbags and other expensive junk. Those things are nice, but cannot really compare to the priceless moments and feelings that you get from everyday things. You can’t buy happiness.


My ipod sits upon the dock. The light from the clock illuminates its sleek black frame. It has my whole life on it; all my music and important dates are stored in it. I remove it from the stand and admire it for a moment, turning it over to see the engraving that reads “Merry Christmas Breighanna”, and slide the lock bar to unlock. The screen lights up, showing the menu screen. I click “music” first, which opens up another menu, from which I select the “songs” option from. I slide my finger along the wheel and scroll through the songs to find one that I feel like listening to. I find one, and press play, the volume is all the way up. I brace myself as the music blasts through the little speakers on the headphones. It completely blocks out the world, I don’t hear anyone talking, and I don’t hear anything except for the music. I relax and let it take me away. I wonder how such an amazing thing could only cost 300 dollars. When my ipod is set to shuffle, I get constant surprises. I never know what song is going to come on next. There are over 600 songs to chose from, some I haven’t even listened to all the way through yet. I go back to menu, and select the playlists option. I chose my favorite playlist, a collection of all the songs that energize me and make me happy. I smile as the emotional lyrics fill my mind with memories.


I’ve been waiting for this night for weeks, the day I could finally be with him again. The distance has been a problem in the past, but after almost 5 months, we could never let it get in the way again. We’re too close now. I prepare myself, the butterflies so intense now. My stomach feels like it’s going to explode any moment. I grow more nervous as it approaches 5 o’clock. I make sure everything is perfect, checking myself in the mirror one more time. What feels like only seconds later, I hear the doorbell ring. My heart starts pounding, I can hear it in my ears and feel it in my throat. I put a shaky hand around the doorknob and turn it slowly, opening the door, revealing him. He looks just like I remembered, tall, lean, and so welcoming. He smiles his heart-melting smile, and I start to feel weak. I wrap my arms around him, and feel his around me. I inhale deeply, letting the scent that ha s become so familiar to me fills my nose. For those few moments, I feel as though I’m holding the world, I feel complete again, and I never want that feeling to end. I look into his eyes and see only him, he talks and he is all I hear. He makes me blind to the rest of the world, and I don’t need anything else, because he is the world to me.


My two values are similar and different in many ways. My ipod is of material value to me, if I wanted to, I could sell it for money. I could put a price on it. As opposed to the moment that I first see my boyfriend again. That feeling could never be sold, and even if it was possible, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Both things block out the rest of the world, as if they were the only things existing, and they both make me smile and bring back good memories. They are different because one of them is a material item, while the other is a feeling I get from seeing a person. Both things are very important to me, and I wouldn’t get rid of either of them (even though I could) for any amount of money or anything. I cannot even stress enough how important these things are to me. Both my ipod and my boyfriend are always there for me, and are always here for me when i'm feeling down. I am so thankful to have both of these in my life.

1 comment:

Juliette said...

In Brei's essay, she explained how the most valuable things in life are the ones that can't be priced. She believes that though expensive things are nice to have but they don't have the same meaning in life as memories, people, or moments. Just from reading her essay, you can really tell that Brei values her ipod a whole lot, however seeing her boyfriend is incredibly valuable to making her feel happy. These two things are so meaningful to Brei, that it's hard to tell which item she loves more.

In my opinion, Brei wrote both of her valuables extremely well but her ipod descriptions were very vivid. The way she portrayed what it is like to turn it on to listening to the music fot a long time was as if I could see and touch it myself. For example, she wrote, "It has my whole life on it; all my music and important dates are stored in it. I remove it from the stand and admire it for a moment, turning it over to see the engraving..." This really proved how much her ipod meant to her. Also, when she said, "My heart starts pounding, I can hear it in my ears and feel it in my throat. I put a shaky hand around the doorknob and turn it slowly, opening the door, revealing him."These few sentences compared to the others she wrote, made her two valuables hard to tell which she values more.
Overall, Brei's essay was filled with great descriptive language. You can really visualize and understand her feelings to the things she values. Her conclusion and comparisons also were written well and showed her compassion.
One piece of advice I think Brei should consider before writing is just rereading her paper and fixing any grammatical and spelling errors which I spotted a few upon reading. Other than that though, Brei did a really great job on her value essay. Keep it up Brei. :)